When you bring your jewelry into New York Loan Company, our GIA certified gemologists carefully examine and value your prized possessions. Once we take your collateral into our care, each item is separately wrapped and sealed into a bag and envelope to protect it, and placed into our high security vault.In fact, we do not open or see your item until you personally come into our office to redeem your loan.
We take every precaution to make sure that you jewelry is cared for. However, when your jewelry returns home, it is sometimes difficult to know how to properly treat your family heirlooms, especially jewelry and watches.
Here are a few tips to keeping your valuables clean, safe and sparkling:
- When possible, try to keep your jewelry free from perfume, lotions, cosmetics, and hair products. While these products are often necessary in our everyday lives, they can quickly damage our most precious jewelry.
- Keep your diamond jewelry and watches separate from your other pieces. Diamonds will scratch other stones, and will even scratch each other.
- After each wear, rub down your jewelry with a damp soft cloth, which will ensure that your jewelry is clean while you store it.
- Be careful where you take your fine jewelry and watches. Playing sports, cleaning, exercising, chasing after the kids, or taking a dip in the pool, are all great times to leave your expensive pieces in a safe place. Extreme cold and extreme hot temperatures can also be damaging.
- Be sure to service your pieces when the manufacturer recommends it. For watches, it’s recommended that you have it serviced every three to five years. For Jewelry, it’s recommended that you have it cleaned and examined every six months to one year; depending on wear.
- It is suggested that you take your jewelry and watches to a retailer or trusted professional to be cleaned. However, if you must clean your items at home, it’s best to use a soft brush (possibly a toothbrush), and mild soap. Be sure to do this over a sink, and to close your drain before you start scrubbing. And remember, you may not know if you have a loose diamond, so be gentle.
- If you’re ever unsure on how to best store or clean your items, it’s best to ask.Delicate stones, such as emeralds, pearls, or opals may need special care.
These are just a few tips on how to best care for your important jewelry and watches. New York Loan Company wants you to enjoy, wear and pass down your pieces for many, many, years to come.